If you grind your teeth at night when you sleep, you may be causing damage to your bite, fractures to your teeth, or wearing down of your teeth.
A night guard is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. If our dentist suspects that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a night guard. This oral appliance will be custom made to comfortably and effectively fit your smile, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your teeth.
In addition to protecting your teeth, night guards can be constructed to relieve the symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. If you would like more information about getting a custom night guard to treat teeth grinding and TMJ, contact us today.