If you suffer from teeth grinding when you sleep, you may cause damage to your bite and fracture or wear down your teeth. To protect your smile, our dentists may recommend a custom-made night guard.
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. If our dentist suspects that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a night guard. This oral appliance will be custom made to fit your smile comfortably and effectively, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your smile.
In addition to protecting your teeth, night guards can be constructed to relieve the symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. Our dentists invite you to contact us today if you would like more information about getting a custom night guard to treat teeth grinding and TMJ in Roanoke, Va.