As the holiday rush swamps us with sugary delights, we must keep our oral health operating as efficient as ever. You don’t want to forget your daily brushing habits or neglect to take the proper time to do them. If you become lackadaisical in your brushing routine, it is much easier for harmful bacteria and food particles to hide away in parts of your mouth that may take a little extra effort to clean. Always remember to brush thoroughly, safely, and effectively. Below are some simple solutions for your oral health during the holidays:
– Chewy candies and hard candies can be extremely difficult to brush away. If possible, avoid them, or give extra care to brushing your teeth after consumption.
– Many holiday delights can leave residue behind in hard to reach places, so be sure to brush thoroughly on all sides and surfaces of each tooth.
– Use toothbrushes with softer bristles, as harder bristles can damage your gums. Also, be sure not to press too hard. The goal is to clean the teeth, not strip them of their enamel.
– Keep your toothbrushes clean and properly stored when not in use.
– Visit your dentist every six months or as directed for an oral exam with Dr. Andrew W Henritze, DDS, or a professional cleaning.
– Make sure to brush your teeth for 2 minutes, at least twice daily.
– Look for toothbrushes and toothpaste that are dentist-recommended with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
With the proper oral health care holiday hygiene, you can make your mouth dazzle this holiday season. For more information about brushing your teeth, or to schedule an appointment at Andrew Henritze DDS in Roanoke, Virginia, please call us at (540) 989-6600 to speak with a member of our team. Take down cavities today, and enjoy tomorrow with a smile!